It’s Almost Time!
A few months ago I told you about my first solo-speaking event. It’s almost here, and I hope you can join me! On Saturday, August 12, 2017 from 5-7 p.m., I’ll be at the Uptown Arts Bar sharing behind-the-scenes secrets on The Color Eater and reading from the manuscript.
And do you remember that story about the four obstacles to living your dream? I overcame obstacle three by making a down payment for the writers’ retreat. Well, to help offset travel costs, I decided to raffle off some of the weird prizes that people may want. Like:
- A character’s name in my next novel— The winner of this raffle will pick the name of a character in my next book. I can name the character after you, or someone you love, or someone you hate, or you can pick a random name that makes you giggle.
- Event Promotion— I’ll promote an event (within the next 12 months) for you by: setting up a Facebook event, adding the event to 15+ events calendars in the KC metro area, and regularly tweeting and/or Facebook-posting on your author page/twitter accounts leading up to the event.
- Twenty-page critique—Do you have a short story or the opening of a novel you want feedback on? Win this prize and I’ll critique up to twenty pages and provide line edits as well as developmental feedback.
- Before and after. Three chapters of The Color Eater—For those of you interested in a behind the scenes look of how a story evolves through time, this is a great sneak peek. You’ll win signed manuscript pages of the first three chapters in their original and final forms.
- Andy’s cookies—Andy’s cookies are magic-yum-works of art. Check out The Geeky Cookie’s photos to see the mind-blowing level of artistry he brings to baked-goods. The winner of this raffle will get beautiful, delicious cookies for an occasion of your choice. (Must be used within 12 months of raffle drawing.)
- Waldo Honey—Three pounds of local honey that tastes like liquid-gold-magic on your tongue. The bees live in the 64114 zip code and forage up to five miles of prime Kansas City gardens to bring you this tasty treat. (Did you know? All the worker bees are girls, and all boy bees do is have sex and die.)
- And more—Because my friends are the most generous in the world people keep offering to donate stuff! So far it looks like I’ll also have a Musee bath balm gift basket, some spectacular hand-made jewelry, and a Beauty Brands gift card.
Thank you for supporting me in this great big writing adventure!
If you’d like to support me financially too, you can purchase tickets in advance:
1 raffle ticket for $10, 3 for $25, or 10 for $50!
Via check payable to: Jessica Conoley
Send via mail to:
12742 W. 110th Ter.
Overland Park, KS 66210
Or send support via PayPal
(If you’re not already logged in to PayPal,
it will ask you to login at this point)
Enter the $ amount
click: SEND MONEY NOW
Maybe you’re thinking “OMG, Jess I really want to name a character in your book, but there’s no way I can make it to the Arts Bar on the 12th!” That’s okay. You can still buy raffle tickets. Just e-mail me with what you want to win, and on the night of the show I’ll drop your tickets in the bowl for the specific item.
My goal is to raise $3,000 to pay for the October writers’ retreat. The retreat will let me meet with twenty other authors who not only write in my genre, but are also at the same stage in their career. I know I’m going to learn tons and come home with some new colleagues. I’m hell-of-excited because I’ve never been to a writers retreat or Pennsylvania or a cabin in the woods (which could be a bit murdery when I think about it too long, but all the reviews and pictures make it look not-murdery-at-all.) I’m excited that the other writers write in my same genre. In Kansas City I have the best writing friends a girl could ever hope for, but very few actually write the same kind of stuff I do.
And, oh yeah. This is kind of my birthday party too… Years ago, my friend, Bob Chrisman, taught me this: you get one day of celebration for every year of age. I get 38 birthday-days this year, and August 12th is firmly in that window. I like to carouse with my friends for my birthday (that’s where you come in), drink some cocktails and eat some food (that’s where the Uptown Arts Bar comes in), and I like to give presents to my friends (instead of the other way around) which is why everyone gets a free download of My Great Escape essay collection on August 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd.
I can’t wait to see you at the Uptown Arts Bar, and if you still want to get me a question for the Q&A or get in on some raffle tickets you’ve got plenty of time. See you on the 12th!