I coach authors in an online peer group and help polish manuscripts and queries—so you can navigate the path to traditional publication with confidence and support.
Getting ready to query agents? Need help polishing your manuscript? Have you already begun querying, and need to revise? I’d love to work with you.
The path to traditional publication can be long and daunting, but with a group of critique partners (CPs) supporting you, finding the right agent feels possible. I deliberately designed my coaching program so you can build your own lasting CP relationships as you polish your manuscript.
I match you with three other authors and provide open coaching and edits to all of you.
I understand this industry and the value of a good support system. As managing editor of a literary magazine, I edited and published emerging authors for years. As an author, I secured representation with my dream agent—after turning down an agent who wasn’t the right fit. As a writer, I’ve collaborated with my CPs weekly for a decade.
Spring session runs March 15th-July 15th.
Includes: four months coaching, developmental edit, query letter edit, and CP matching.
On-line group coaching sessions are limited to four clients. During a four-month session I commit to providing you with:
- One full developmental edit focusing on: the big picture of your story, character development, plot, world-building, and potential strategies for revision based upon your writing style.
- One query critique. I read your entire manuscript and then edit your query– this gives me in-depth knowledge most query editors won’t have.
- A one-on-one sixty-minute phone call to discuss your MS. (International calls through WhatsApp.)
- Personalized coaching tailored to the interests of your group.
- Weekly guidance related to career planning for long-term success in the publishing industry.
- Access to handouts, essays, and other resources that break down the “nuts & bolts” of the industry. (Sample topics include: How to create an author website. How to critique other authors’ work. Querying strategy. Agent/Author relationship. And more.)
- Facilitation of the ongoing conversation with your peers.
Each member of the group will:
- Provide a full manuscript and query letter prior to the session’s start date.
- Commit to the four-month duration.
- Actively support the other members of the group on their paths to publication.
- Agree to coaching in an on-line forum that allows you to learn from each other’s experiences.
What others are saying:
“I went from someone with no writing community to having a small-but-mighty group of writing friends.”
“Helpful, constructive, thought-provoking and spot on. You have picked me up on so many things I didn’t even know I was doing!”
Paula G. in response to her Developmental Edit Letter
“You have a natural coaching style–it’s obvious that you enjoy helping people succeed.”
Session runs March 15-July 15, 2019.
To apply by February 15, 2019:
1) Email jessica[@]jessicaconoley.com
In the body of the email answer the following questions:
- How many words is your completed MS?
- How many drafts has the MS gone through?
- How many critique partners and/or beta readers have looked at the book thus far? How did you feel about their feedback?
- How do you feel about revisions?
- What does your writing support system/community look like at this point in time?
- How did you hear about me? If through a coaching client, please tell me their name or twitter handle.
2) Attach query letter.
3) Attach first 50 pages of your MS in standard manuscript formatting.
4) OPTIONAL. Financial assistance is available for one client. If you would like to be considered, please tell me more about your circumstances, and make your case in an attached Word document. 250 words or less.
Includes: four month coaching, developmental edit, query letter edit, and CP matching.
*Rate for manuscripts up to 80,000 words. For manuscripts in excess of 80,000 words an additional charge of.0125 cents per word will apply.
Multiple payment options available.