KC Creates Interview-Caleb Harman
Caleb Harman is a hell of an artist and the penultimate creator—which is why I decided to make him the first non-writer interview in my podcast series. I know absolutely nothing about art, and was a little worried my lack of knowledge would lead to a crap interview, but it turns out creativity doesn’t care what medium we work in. Caleb and I had plenty to talk about including:
- How a childhood diagnosis changed his awareness of the world and can serve as a jumping off point for his art.
- Why the darker side of things is more engaging, mysterious, and fun to explore.
- As in the H.R. Giger alien that Ridley Scott brought to film.
- The similarities of art processes vs. the gardner/architect approach to writing
- Why he decided graduate school was the right place for him to expand his creative community.
- The need for a transition time between home life and artistic productivity.
- What you thought being an artist mean when you were growing up verses the reality of what being a working artist actually is.
- The evolution of Story in visual art and his current exploration of world-building mythological creation.
Listen to the whole interview at https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/jessica-conoley/