I asked you to help me find books about writing that read like memoir, & you all came through in the most spectacular fashion. Thank you!
I only need one book, but so many great and highly recommended titles came through I thought it best to share the whole list with everyone.
- The Poetry Home Repair Manual by Ted Kooser
- On Writing Well by William Zinsser
- Save the Cat Jessica Brody
- Pity the Reader by Kurt Vonnegut
- How to Write: Advice and Reflections by Richard Rhodes
- The Writing Life by Annie Dillard
- Daybook by Anne Truitt. (It’s about her sculptural practice, but it’s so applicable to writing.)
- On Writing by Stephen King
- Writing Brave & Free by Ted Kooser
- Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard
- Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury
- Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go by Les Edgerton
- A Moveable Feast by Earnest Hemingway
- Where the Past Begins: A Writer’s Memoir by Amy Tan
- The Wanting was A Wilderness by Alden Jones
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed
- The Art of Memoir by Mary Karr
- Dangerous Men and Adventurous Women Edited by Jayne Ann Krentz
- “The Getaway Car: A Practical Memoir about Writing and Life” essay in Ann Patchett’s nonfiction collection This is the Story of a Happy Marriage.
We need two books for the secret project. I already picked one, and now Imari & I are combing through this list for our second one. Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate you!